Tuesday, February 12, 2008

That drink is so last season.

Who knew that drinks could be trendy? Cocktails can blow up overnight just like those calf-length leggings and funny looking bubble dresses did last year. Those things were in style, right?

I know a little bit more about drinks than I do about fashion, so I will get to the point; last year, mojitos came out of nowhere (well, Cuba originally), and have been the trend-tastic drink of choice ever since, with pomegranate-flavored cocktails a close second. Of course, some really smart folks figured out that you could make a pomegranate-flavored mojito and then wear your sunglasses inside for the ultimate in sexy. Bringing it back.

Your basic mojito involves bruising some mint leaves in a mixture of sugar and lime juice to release the minty freshness, then adding ice and rum to complete the concoction. Garnish with a mint sprig if you are a fan of final touches.

The Food Network has a recipe from Emeril Live for a vanilla sugar pomegranate mojito that sounds pretty tasty.

3 comments:

Monica DiDonato said...

Am I the only person who doesn't like Mojitos? I swear, I am.

TNLogan said...

Ah, mojitos are my favorite!! And I really didn't realize they were trendy until pretty recently. My boyfriend's mom made one for me over the summer, and I've been hooked ever since.

Rachel S said...

Monica, I also despise the mojito. I hate the combination of sugar, rum and mint. When I worked at Margaritaville in Key West people were permanently asking for a mojito, we didn't sell them. My response? Try a margarita.